·Finance Reporter, Yahoo Finance UK
Mon, 15 May 2023 at 10:35 am BST
High street lender Barclays (BARC.L) is set to close 15 more branches over the next few months in its latest round of closures.
The UK bank said it will close 12 branches in England and one in Wales, and two in Scotland.
Most of the England branches are set to close in August, with some shutting their doors in September, according to data from cash machine network LINK.
he two Scottish branches will also shut in August, while the Wales branch is still waiting on a date to close its doors.
Last year, Barclays announced it would close 132 branches, many of which have since closed.
Several major banks, including NatWest (NWG.L), Lloyds (LLOY.L) and Halifax are also shutting down branches.
With the latest closure announcement from Barclays, high street banks have set out plans to shut 228 sites since the start of this year.
Data has shown a decrease in people using their local branches, with changes in habits due to the pandemic thought to be a factor.
COVID-19 accelerated how customers use banking services, with many now having switched to online banking.
Barclays recently said in a statement: “As visits to branches continue to fall, we need to adapt to provide the best service for all our customers.
“Where there is no longer enough demand to support a branch, we maintain an in-person presence though our Barclays Local network, live in over 200 locations, based in libraries, town halls, mobile vans and our new banking pods.
Here’s the latest round of Barclays closures:
- 133 High Street, Dunfermline (Scotland) — 18 August
- 16 Murray Place, Stirling (Scotland) — 11 August
- 52 Tredegar Street, Risca (Wales) — TBC
- 18 Queen Elizabeth II Square, Chelmsford (England) — 11 August
- 18 High Street, Burnham-on-Crouch (England) — 22 August
- 118 High Street, Newcastle-under-Lyme (England) — 25 August
- 90 Liverpool Road, Kidsgrove (England) — 11 August
- 1 Lower Northam Road, Hedge End, Southampton (England) — 17 August
- 20/24 Upper Market Street, Eastleigh (England) — 11 August
- 31 Market Place, Wokingham (England) — 18 August
- 17 High Street, Bognor Regis (England) — 9 August
- 74 Front Street, Prudhoe (England) — 11 August
- Westgate, Haltwhistle (England) — 18 August
- High Street, St Ives (England) — 8 September
- 6 Killigrew Street, Falmouth (England) — 15 September