Simon Cowell sued by former X Factor star Katie Waissel

PASADENA, CALIFORNIA - SEPTEMBER 14: Simon Cowell attends the red carpet for
Simon Cowell is being sued by former X Factor contestant Katie Waissel. (Getty Images)

Simon Cowell is being sued by former X Factor contestant Katie Waissel regarding accusations of negligence from her time on the show.

Waissel appeared on the talent contest in 2010 and finished seventh overall. That year, The X Factor was won by Matt Cardle with One Direction finishing third.

Waissel, who also now works as a lawyer is suing Cowell’s production company Syco Entertainment accusing it of breaching their duty of care during her time on the show.

Katie Waissel took part in the 2010 series of 'The X Factor' and the show's 2011 live tour. (Getty)
Katie Waissel is suing Simon Cowell. (Getty)

Speaking to The Sunday Times, Waissel said: “I am pursuing a civil case of personal injury under negligence, which pertains to duty of care.”

The statute of limitations on such a case is three years so Waissel will first have to convince a judge her case has merit.

Waissel’s complaints lie largely with the contract X Factor contestants sign to appear on the live broadcast part of the show.

She said: “I was [contractually] given £1 in exchange for appearing on the live shows section of the programme. That structure is manipulation and coercion at its finest. Company A, who is in a position of power, seeks person B, who is vulnerable. Company A says, this is the biggest opportunity of your life and without it, you would be nothing. That is the absolute pinnacle of where it’s all gone wrong.”

X Factor 2016: Rylan hits back at Simon Cowell's career swipe
Simon Cowell on The X Factor. (ITV)

Waissel added: “There are so many of us who have been so trapped and it’s not fair, there was a huge imbalance in power. I just wanted to be able to understand [the contracts] and to protect people from being manipulated in the future.”

Last year, it was announced that a documentary was in the making about accusations of bullying, harassment and exploitation that took place during the filming of the show.

After premiering in 2004, The X Factor has not been broadcast since 2019 with ITV since stating that they had no plans to produce a new series of the singing contest.

Published by anthonyhayble

I AM A PROFESSIONAL BLOGGER WHO BLOGS ON EVENTS, NEWS AND CELEBRITY ACTIVITIES. YOU WILL GET THE LATEST BLOGGING UPDATES WITH UP TO DATE NEWS AND EVENTS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU. COMMENTS AND LIKES ARE ALSO WELCOMED. I AM STILL IN THE PROCESS OF BUILDING AND UPDATING MY BLOGS AND IT WOULD BE UP AND RUNNING SHORTLY. THIS IS STILL A NEW SITE AND WILL GREATLY IMPROVE WITH TIME

%d bloggers like this: