- England vs South Africa, second Test full scoreboard
- Player ratings: Anderson and Broad roll back the years
- Michael Vaughan: Stokes always delivers when it matters
- Tourists lose last five wickets for seven runs
- Stokes had blown innings open with mighty spell
England produced a superb bowling performance to thrash South Africa by an innings and 85 runs at Old Trafford and square the series.
South Africa were bowled out for 179 in their second innings, with the last five wickets falling for seven runs against the second new ball.
The captain Ben Stokes, whose fingerprints were all over England’s victory, blew the innings open with a mighty 14-over spell either side of tea. It included the wickets of Keegan Petersen and Rassie van der Dussen, who had frustrated England with a fourth-wicket partnership of 89 in 42.5 overs.
Jimmy Anderson and Ollie Robinson raced through the lower order to complete a victory every bit as emphatic as South Africa’s at Lord’s last week. A mouthwatering series decider at the Oval begins a week on Thursday.